The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sudden pain, five years after mesh hernia repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ispeakchinese

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:00 am    Post subject: Sudden pain, five years after mesh hernia repair Reply with quote

Hi there

I'm looking for a little help here, since I'm worried about sudden pain that's showing up, and I'm not sure what it means. Hopefully some of you will be able to assuage my fears, or at least give me an idea of what I'm going through.

I'm a 34 year old male who had right inguinal hernia repair in 2006 using mesh. After a more-or-less pain-free recovery period, and 5 years without any issue, I've suddenly developed pain in the area where I had the hernia. It's after I moved apartments, and pushed myself a little strenuously (although I've pushed myself physically, without problem, in the last years). What could be the causes for this pain (could it be ripped tissue, around the mesh?). Are there specific reasons ? Are there solutions to this (ie can it repair itself)?

I know the best thing would be to go to a doctor, ideally the surgeon, but he's in another city, so it won't be for several weeks at least.

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Tags: inguinal hernia repair pain
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give it a few weeks and it may heal on its own. If not it may be a recurrence, which does happen in up to 16 per cent of repairs.

Herniabible staff
miltee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ispeakchinese,

I have a similar experience. I am 29 years old, and exactly 1 year ago I had left inguinal hernia surgery at a renowned hernia surgery hospital in Toronto, Shouldice. I am very athletic, and prior to my surgery I was at the gym 5-6 times a week doing intense weight training and running. I do heavy squats, deadlifts, sprints, etc.

This may have caused the hernia in the first place. Anyway, I had my surgery, and after 10 days I felt 100%. I was able to walk fine with no pain whatsoever, and I resumed my 5-6 days a week gym routine. After the first week, I was back to lifting the amount prior to the surgery. I had no complications, no pain. Then suddenly, exactly 1 year later I started feeling a really nasty throbbing pain in the area. I wasn't sure what movement would cause it, but when it happened it felt like an electric shock sensation, or a stabbing pain. It is short lived, but it happens often. It has not gone away for 5 days now. I went to see the surgeon who performed my surgery and he checked and said everything is still fine, there is no recurrence. He said pain every now and then is common and expected, sometimes it lasts 1 day, sometimes 1 month. But it is a surgery after all.

Almost makes me wish I didn't go forward with it in the first place. God willing, this goes away and I can get back to normal. I hope it's not something chronic... being athletic is baked into my lifestyle... I can't imagine taking it easy.

Let me know the update on your situation..
Miltee
Lennis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I had my surgery (right inguinal open hernia surgery) in November of 2011. Although the pain and numbness lasted longer than I expected, I've still been pretty much totally pain-free for the last 4-6 months. But this week I've been having problems...

Sunday - still completely pain-free for months, even when doing weight-training (nothing crazy, but still...) But Sunday I had a party...so I was lugging bags of ice, heavy coolers, lifting children over my head, etc. I didn't feel any pain or discomfort at all.

Monday - woke up with a slight ache. Ignored it. Didn't even notice it unless I was walking or standing with my weight on that leg. But by mid-afternoon I was in pain, and by evening I could barely walk. No sharp pains - all aches.

Tuesday - woke up feeling virtually pain-free. Poking revealed the ache was still there, so I didn't poke any more. A couple of hours into my day, the pain started again. Not quite as bad as the day before.

Wednesday - woke up pain-free again. This time the pain didn't start until around noon. But still seemed to be improving.

Thursday (today) - woke up thinking it was completely healed. Even a poke didn't cause pain. But it came back around mid-afternoon. I figured, "OK, it keeps starting later and later in the day, so I must be healing." However, the pain seems worse today than yesterday. Of course that may very well be because today I didn't take any painkillers.

So what could this be? If I had ripped the mesh (or muscle) I would think the pain would be sharp? Can chronic nerve pain start almost a year after the surgery, given that I had no pain for all these months? How long do I wait before going to the doc?

Thanks!!!
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to a doc he/she will tell you, see how it goes for a while and come back if the pain increases. Meanwhile don't do anything strenuous.
Grumpybeard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have same experience.

Had inguinal mesh repair op 5 years ago. Have exercised regularly 5 times a week without problem.

3 weeks ago after circuit training experienced a burning sensation around site of mesh repair around scar tissue.

No bulge as such, just burning feeling, when I bend over to tie shoe laces I can feel the mesh "rubbing", and have a constant dull ache in my testicles.

Would love to know if anyone with similar experience went ahead with further consultancy such as ultrasound, what was found o be problem (mesh movement?), and whether a second op was done.

Thank-you very much.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all surgeons refuse to do further surgery after mesh repair, because they know there is a 99 per cent chance that they will make the pain worse. The mesh grows into the tissue so a large piece of your flesh would have to be removed to get it out (like chewing gum from hair).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: