The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

healing henias without a support truss?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nate

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: healing henias without a support truss? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm in Japan, and developed an inguinal hernia about 2 months ago. The Doctor I saw confirmed it was an inguinal hernia, but failed to mention anything about exercise or supports. I found this website, and found the information of great use, but I'm now wondering whether I need to buy a support, or whether I can heal with just the right exercise, and diet. As I'm not currently at home in England, and don't plan to be for some time, the option of getting one prescribed is out of the picture, and as I'm a (poor) student, the thought of forking out £45 plus P&P to Japan is not a pleasant one.

I have been on an almost macrobiotic diet for a while now, and so food isn't a problem, are there any exercises that I should try to avoid if without a support.

One final question, I'm a Jazz man, and so play the piano daily, and trumpet whenever I can (almost daily). After playing the trumpet I notice some discomfort around my hernia. Is this a sign that I need to stop playing?

Thanks
Richard

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nate,

I thought Iíd give a brief reply to your post because Iím trying to heal my hernia without a support as well, not because I havenít got a support but just because they donít work very well for me (they donít keep my bulge reliably in).

A lot will depend on the size of your bulge and how well it keeps itself in. Itís important to realise that the edges of the tear in the muscle wall will never heal together as long as the bowel is protruding through the gap, so without some way of keeping the bulge permanently in there is virtually no chance of a complete cure. However, it is still possible to increase the strength of the abdominal muscles themselves, which in turn can of itself go a long way to keeping the bulge in without any support - but youíve got to get to that stage first, and this might be a problem. The problem with the bowel bulging out is not only that it keeps the edges of the tears from coming into contact, but it also tends to overstretch and damage the muscles themselves which it turn makes it extremely difficult to heal any previous damage and strengthen them up. If your bulge is anything but tiny you will unfortunately be forced to find [i]some[/i] way of keeping it in, at least for the vast majority of the time. Iíve managed to find various ways to keep my hernia in without a support, I hope at some point to submit a post explaining all the various tips I have discovered for doing this. You might possibly want to consider some kind of home-made support, this isnít likely to be as comfortable or convenient as a commercially made one, but it may do the trick for short periods of time in difficult situations (situations difficult for the hernia that is). If your lifestyle is very active and/or involves long periods of standing up then you've got a formidable battle on your hands Iím sorry to say. The only option then would really be to get a proper support, the flat pad supports sold here are quite comfortable and practical to wear for long periods of time, and going by the feedback on this site are effective for most people.

Regarding playing the trumpet, I certainly wouldnít do this standing up, the weight of the abdominal contents pressing on the lower abdomen plus the stress of forced breathing would put considerable strain on the weakened areas of the muscle wall. If you want to continue playing I would only do it sitting down, and whilst keeping your back bolt upright, though I suppose youíd have to do that anyway to get adequate breathing. Any exercises you do will most likely be fine without a support as long as they are done lying down, and carefully, and donít result in the bulge being pushed out.

I hope this is of some help, and good luck!
Richard
nate

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard, I will monitor how much the bulge is poking through in my day, and consider the options. The information was of great help, I wish you the best of luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: