The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience - healed without surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
basketballbuddh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: My experience - healed without surgery Reply with quote

I didn't want to have surgery and thought there was a better way. I did a combination of emotional release work (a lot of anger was being stored in my groin) and some abdominal exercises from this site. I also bought this support (http://www.groin-hernia.com/hernia-support.html).

At first my hernia would pop out of the abdominal lining all the time. I'd have to keep tucking it back in. If I walked around, holding it in, I was fatigued very easily. But the support really worked for me. I wore it all the time at first. It kept the hernia in and I didn't get fatigued. I kept doing my exercises (not all the time, but I tried as much as I could) and emotional release work. I also did a few cleanses to clean out my bowels so that there wasn't as much pressure against the abdominal wall from my intestine. I didn't play basketball or do any running for about 6 months. Then I started going on 10 minute walks at lunchtime (still wearing the support). Then a few weeks later I started light treadmill jogging (with support). Then I went out to the basketball court (with the support) and discovered I could shoot around. I didn't risk playing yet. But after 6 months, it was nice to be semi-active.

I kept trying to do my abdominal exercises and continued to process emotional stuff. After that and wearing the support, I started to feel stronger. It had been about 8 months since my hernia and I felt stronger. All of a sudden it didn't poke out anymore, even without the support! I didn't push it though and continued to wear the support. Then one day I forgot the support, but since it hadn't poked out in a month or so, I figured I give it a try and run on the treadmill anyway. Nothing happened and I felt great! I brought the support the next day for my run, but that was proof that I was healed/healing and this could be done without surgery.

I know this sounds like a LONG time, but after about a year of doing emotional release work and my abdominal exercises and running 3 times a week, I was now able to not use the support at all. I even played basketball without it a few times. I still wear the support now only when I play basketball, but I think it's more a psychological thing than anything else because there are times that I've played basketball going 100% and it still feels OK.

My dad had the surgery when he was about 50 and has had no problems. There are a couple of guys down at Venice Beach that I play basketball that have or did have a hernia. One guy is 40 and it's bothering him to the point where he's going to have surgery. Another guy is 72 and he's had the hernia for over 20 years (and it pops out) but he still runs 3 miles every day and plays basketball. Another guy is 70 and he had the surgery a couple of years ago and it's really bothering him all the time. He wishes he didn't get the surgery.

I'm not a doctor and I can only speak to my experience. I'm not against surgery if it's necessary, I just wanted to try something else first. I wanted to really put my belief that this type of "injury" where everyone says you MUST have surgery could be healed without it. Overall, I think it's been a lot of things contributing to my healing. 1) emotional release work - lots of anger stored in my groin, 2) general self-care and nurturing, 3) wearing the support ALL the time so that it didn't pop out and continue to weaken my abdominal wall, 4) daily or semi-daily exercises from the hernia bible site.

It's not the issue (the hernia) that's the issue. But how you are relating to yourself while you have the hernia that is the issue. Be gentle and love yourself. Let go of any guilt or shame that may come forward either relating directly to your body and your hernia, or maybe seemingly unrelated emotions that may arise during this time of your life. Love heals.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basketballbuddh, thanks so much for this wonderful story. You are an inspiration to all the people out there who are struggling with the idea of not having surgery. You have shown what is possible.

Very best wishes
Herniabible Staff
Mxjane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Yes, Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for your words, good ideas, well-rounded opinion, and inspiration. I'm working on healing my hernia and will remember your kind words of being gentle and loving... Cool Marcy
aleesha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to the type of emotional release work you did. Did you work with a therapist or use a workbook? I've never done an emotional cleanse before and think trying it could do wonders for my hernia. Any recommendations will help. Thank you!
Juba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: My experience - healed without surgery Reply with quote

Hey, Basketballbudh, some people might find your statement that "a lot of anger was being stored in my groin" strange, but I can absolutely connect with it. In fact, for me personally, this thread is the most interesting in the Hernia Support forum. I'll be back later with more to say about this!
Juba

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Emotional release Reply with quote

[quote="aleesha"]I'm curious as to the type of emotional release work you did. Did you work with a therapist or use a workbook? I've never done an emotional cleanse before and think trying it could do wonders for my hernia. Any recommendations will help. Thank you![/quote]
Hi, Aleesha. On this subject, may I suggest you do some searching for phrases such as "primal therapy", "primal integration", "deep feeling therapy", "deep release" and "bodymind". The search results should produce some helpful information for you.
Juba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Emotional release Reply with quote

The following is an extract from [url=http://www.edanddebshapiro.com/your-body-speaks-your-mind/]"Your Body Speaks Your Mind: Decoding the Emotional, Psychological, and Spiritual Messages That Underlie Illness" by Deb Shapiro[/url]:

[quote="Debbie Shapiro"]A hernia is a weakening in the muscle wall that allows an organ or fatty tissue to move out of position. A hiatus hernia occurs when a part of the stomach becomes trapped above the diaphragm (the flat muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen) and can be caused by exertion or injury. Inguinal hernias occur in the groin and are the most common of hernias, most often in men, where a section of the intestine protrudes through a gap in the abdominal muscle wall and forms a sac. Heavy lifting, straining, or excessive coughing can cause this.

A hernia indicates a weakening or collapse of psycho/emotional energy, often because you try to cope with too much at once and collapse under the weight; or you strain to do everything right and therefore push yourself too far (perhaps motivated by guilt or anger); or you feel weakened by inner fears and anxieties, so there are no reserves of personal strength. This is connected to over-anxious thinking patterns and fearful mental states. In the process your guts spill out - you lose your psychological control, strength, or courage.

Some boys are born with a hernia, due to the descending of the testicles. Very often this clears up in childhood. If it recurs later in life, see if there are any childhood issues coming to the fore, or a change in living conditions giving rise to fear or insecurity.

BODYMIND DIALOGUE: HERNIA

A hernia may indicate that an inner longing to explode is being restrained. This puts a strain on the muscle, so that it implodes rather than explodes.

[list][*]Do you need to be contained in some way?
[*]Are you resisting someone else's control?
[*]A hernia can also imply that you are pushing away a part of yourself. [*]What is that part?
[*]What do you need to do to reclaim that part of your being?[/list:u][/quote]
I have posted the same passage on my Hernia Alternatives group blog - [url=http://herniaalternatives.multiply.com/journal/item/11/Emotional_causes_of_a_hernia][b]Click here[/b][/url].
vermillion sands

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your inspirational story basketballbuddh. Yes I agree learning to love and care for yourself is an important part of healing a hernia. Also learning to release worries anxieties and fears seems to be important too
rancher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you as well.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: