The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pain 4 months after surgery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CruizingComet

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Pain 4 months after surgery Reply with quote

Hello everyone

I had an inguinal hernia operation on the 21st of Jan this year (4 months ago) and am rather concerned that I'm still experiencing quite a high level of discomfort, and I'm not sure what to do?

Before I had my op everyone was telling me there's nothing to it, you wont even know you've had it done etc. However, my experience is nothing of the sort and even as I sit here typing this post I'm in considerable discomfort.

How normal / common is it to still be experiencing pain or discomfort after 4 months? I expected to be back to normal long before now? I still havn't fully returned to work as I'm unable to carry out the tasks that I did prior to my hernia and operation.

Any advice or feedback would be a great help as I'm really not sure if this is normal or if I need go back and see someone? I don't want to look a wimp or a fool as I'm guessing it's normal to be in some discomfort, and don't want to go to my doctor only to be told it's perfectly normal.

Many Thanks
nlnsforum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of repair? and how much discomfort? If you havent seen your surgeon you should discuss the issues with them.
CruizingComet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nlnsforum"]what kind of repair? and how much discomfort? If you havent seen your surgeon you should discuss the issues with them.[/quote]

It was an inguinal hernia, repaired with mesh.

Discomofort is entire right side of crotch, worse when seated for prolonged times, and during any physicle activity like walking etc.

Don't see how I can talk to my surgeon as he said any problems or follow up would go through my GP not him.

What I was asking in my original question is: how normal is it to feel discomfort after 4 months? I don't want to go to my doctor only to be told it's normal & to be expected?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, up to 30 per cent of people experience varying degrees of long-term pain, discomfort, numbness or sexual dysfunction after inguinal hernia surgery. It's a huge problem, but you don't get told about it when they recommend the surgery. We think that is not good, and our Herniabible website is trying to publicize this issue.

Going back to your doctor rarely does any good since once this surgery is done surgeons rarely want to touch it again in case they mess it up even more.

We don't want you to feel too disheartened. A lot of people do slowly improve, but it can take a few years.

With all good wishes
Herniabible Staff
CruizingComet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.. I realize this is an old thread but just thought I would update my situation and hopefully get some further feedback.

My inguinal hernia op is now coming up to two yrs (21st of Jan 2010) and my pain is as bad as ever. Thankfully after not getting very far with my doctors and getting very little recognition for the pain I'm experiencing I got a referral to the Pain Clinic who have at least been sympathetic and understanding of the pain I'm experiencing, they have admitted that this is quite common and a small percentage of post-op patients have moderate to severe pain after wards with no cure except pain management.

I am extremely angry that I was never advised of this prior to having the operation, and also angry that a keyhole repair was not offered as I know a number of people who had their hernias treated using this method and were fine which make my situation even more frustrating.

I struggle on a daily basis now, it's only a hernia op but it's left me with what I consider a considerable disability with no recognition from family or friends or actual understanding of the discomfort I'm enduring daily, it really gets me down and I'm unable to do many things that I once took for granted.

The pain clinic have been quite sympathetic and have so far tried Pregabalin and later Gabapentin both of which have masked the pain I think mainly by playing tricks with your mind to distract you from the pain?? of course I might be wrong, just my observation, but they left me with what I consider quite serious side effects, feeling spaced out or even drunk, unbalanced, with severe mood swings and terrible depression some days and yet others sheer elation, my biggest concern was when driving I just feel unsafe behind the wheel so am now going over to Duloxtine which I hope will give some relief without some of these negative side effects.

Do I have to endure this forever? and why am I suffering like this when everyone else I know who's had a hernia has recovered with no after effects and seem to get great pleasure in telling you so as if you must just be imagining the pain, or making you feel like you are just making it all up! Sad

My health other than the post-op pain is not great having been diagnosed with Crohn's disease around 13 yrs ago which luckily I have managed over recent years with medication, more recently I was diagnosed with Graves disease and had radioactive iodine twice to destroy my thyroid gland as the 1st treatment didn't work, and now I have this which I would be happy to live with if I were able to handle the pain with medication and had some hope that at some point in the future that the pain would subside and I could then go a day without pain of some degree..

I keep telling myself it's only a hernia op so why me?? I never expected 2 yrs down the line to be suffering like this, I don't think I've been pain free since the day of the op after the anesthetic wore off Confused

Thanks for listening, sorry if my post is a bit long winded but as you can no doubt tell I get terribly frustrated.

Many Thanks

CC
aelk5579

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: describe the pain Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you please describe your pain symptoms? Is the pain intensifies during certain activities or is it constant? Do you feel it when asleep and where is the pain mostly?

It sounds to me as entrapped nerves in adhesion which you can get surgery to correct without removing the mesh.

Adam
CruizingComet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: describe the pain Reply with quote

[quote="aelk5579"]Hi,

Can you please describe your pain symptoms? Is the pain intensifies during certain activities or is it constant? Do you feel it when asleep and where is the pain mostly?

It sounds to me as entrapped nerves in adhesion which you can get surgery to correct without removing the mesh.

Adam[/quote]

Hi Adam... the pain clinic has said it's most likely entrapped nerves in adhesion as you suggest, but seem happy to just treat the pain with medication and experiment to see what works and what doesn't

The pain is constant but most active when sitting at my computer say, working, walking, bending etc, the pain is difficult to define to be honest, it's like a pulling sensation, sometimes a stabbing stinging sensation, and other times when less active and at best a dull ache that just never really goes away.

I also have a painful sensation sharp pain when opening my bowels at the slightest push (sorry if that sounds unpleasant) but I only get pain during bedtime hours if I lay in a fetal position, to counteract this I tend to lay on my side hugging a pillow for support with my right knee up also supported by the pillow which seems to help.

Concerned about having another op as looking back the whole thing was a disaster, was all gowned up and ready to go to theatre when the hospital received a phone call to say the surgeon was unable to make it as he was dealing with an emergency operation 30 miles away, so I had to get dressed and go home...

I returned two weeks later and I was first in line to go to theatre, after coming round in the recovery ward I was wheeled through to the ward where they couldn't get rid of me quick enough, was told to eat something so had a bite of a sandwich, they bought me a cup of tea, then I was told to go to the toilet at the same time my cup of tea that had just that second been brought to me was taken away!! as soon as they knew I had peed I was told to get dressed and that I could go home, my partner (who is a nurse incidentally) was waiting in the corridor outside and was disgusted at how quickly I had been discharged and the fact I could barely walk.. I later filed a complaint via a questionnaire I was sent but don't recall getting any response
aelk5579

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: 2 options Reply with quote

Hi,

What your expesriencing is treatable in most cases...it just takes a while because you are dealing with the nerves which take a long time to heal and are easily irritated.
You really have two options, 1 is to find a GOOD surgeon who is willing to do an adhesion removal surgery and the other option is to take an alternative approach and try to treat the adhesions with dietary supplements and physical stimulation.
Both options have their goods and bads and the one you choose will depend on your current level of pain and how much risk you are willing to take. With any type of surgery their is risk involved and there is a chance it could damage more nerves and make it much worse then it is now.
I know a Dr who had a hernia surgery and experienced intense pain straight after the surgery. After 3 months he had adhesion removal surgery and felt better as soon as he woke up and has no problems now. But he was in very bad pain and was prepared to take the risk.

Alternatively you can try taking Fibrovan or similar product containing Nattokinase and combined that with massage and TENS therapy on the groin. You should start to feel some improvement within 8 weeks of use.

If you like more info you can email me acasey9257[at]gmail.com

Good luck and I hope you become pain free soon.
TheBRitter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: 4 months post surgery and still severe pain Reply with quote

Even though this is an old thread...I'm gonna give it a shot because I'm not finding much of anything useful anywhere else.

I too am just over 4 months post hernia surgery....I had two repaired laparoscopically...one inguinal and one umbilical. I missed 6 weeks of work and then had no choice but to return full duty because even though light duty was recommended my employer would not offer it to me (keep in mind my job includes heavy lifting at an extremely fast pace for up to five hours with very little rest time including twisting, bending etc). I work in a warehouse for a major delivery company....At my post-op I was told I could experience pain for up to six months but only slight pain....Finally the pain started to get better however within the last week or so the pain is getting quite severe once again almost like before surgery. There is no bulge anywhere but I'm paranoid about a recurrence...I've also read about some people having chronic pain for years after surgery.....

Does anyone have any experiences or anything about my situation?

Thank you
aelk5579

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Hernia Reply with quote

Hi

Iam going to give you some advice I wish I had when I was going through what you are experiencing now.

The pain will subside unless you have an entrapped nerve which is very unlikely (less than 2% chance). These days there is no such thing as chronic pain due to the mesh as they are made with very light weight polymers.

The best thing you can do is stop reading Internet forums and just ignore your pain. Do some light weigh lifting and cardio.

I can guarantee that you will be pain free in less than 2 months.

Also, you gotta remember that the stories you read on Internet forums are rare and worst case scenarios. How many times have you read a positive story? That is because people who have had a positive experience don't bother postin on the net. Reading negative stories will delay your recovery

Adam
parkster

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: same symptoms Reply with quote

This has been a very beneficial topic. I too had an inguinal and umbilical hernia repair done 5 months ago in Dec. Without the proper info upfront I was surprised of the pain and that it was very painful for 6 weeks. Then it seemed that though I had normal recovery pain for another month or two the groin area hurt the most. I was told that the inguinal hernia was the simple part of the surgery. Eventually the pain was very minimal thanks to the fact that I didnít have to be that active. A few weeks ago the pain, that wasnít 100% gone became intense again. It was in my groin but shot up and to my sides. My biggest fear is the surgeon not doing anything about it or nothing they can figure out. The last I spoke with him he said if the hernias happen again the surgery will be 10x worse so be careful.

I have been very nervous but after reading this post and then further research and discussions I am confident (or optimistic) that these similar symptoms are due to adhesions as aelk5579 has posted. Seems to me the natural way to clear it up is better than surgery but adhesion surgery seems better than having to replace the umbilical mesh (nightmare).

I go back to the Dr in 3 days to see what he says. I had a MRI (mostly because of a different problem) and maybe it will give a definitive answer. I hope the other two people on this topic find positive results as it seems the unknowns is worse than the processes of getting something fixed.
Geralddine75

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: 9 years later and still have pain Reply with quote

I had a procedure 9 years ago for a bilateral inguinal hernia. At the time I had no idea of what even a hernia was or the fact that a girl can get one... The surgery was so painful and the recovery took longer than I expected. After the surgery, I felt like something went wrong because I was feeling worse than it was before. I went back to my doc and he just told me it will go away.. bla bla bla..
Today I'm still dealing with the pain, so of course I started searching to find out if there's anything I can do? or how to go about having check.
My question is, has anyone gone back for a second time to repair their hernia and gotten that mesh thing out?
I swear I can feel that thing inside me when I cough and it hurts. I also feel like I'm pulling a muscle when I go to the bathroom if I push too hard.. Sorry for the TMI. Anyone else feels the same? Should I get it checked out? Rolling Eyes
parkster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Follow up on pain Reply with quote

To follow up on my last post. I returned to the surgeon after my Family Dr. assumed my pain was from the surgery. The surgeon immediately found the pain . He said it was not common of any hernia pain. My pain was the same as before the hernia surgery. He said that it is likely that I had the 2 hernias plus another problem. He thought the pain was masked by the pain of the surgery. BTW both doctors mentioned this before that I may have multiple problems. He surgeon also said that it is very very unlikely that they meshes are causing any problems and after an exam he said everything seemed perfect. So we will see what happens next however I am very happy that it was not a reoccurring hernia because the surgeon said to repair the mesh is a very painful procedure. I will update soon.
parkster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Hopefully final post Reply with quote

After two months of pain and stress thinking about my meshes causing me problems I hopefully have a diagnosis. I went to the surgeon who recognized the pain but didn't believe it had anything to do with the mesh or hernias. I had to see a Gastroenterologist for a different reason so the surgeon suggested I get his opinion. He claims I most likely have an abdominal wall sprain. He said they are bad and take a long time to heal. 8 months ago when I got my hernias the pain was similar and 3 doctors claimed I may have more problems than just the hernia. This doctor agreed and said most likely the sprain happened then. That is why my surgery recovery was so bad. He said the surgery pain most likely masked the specific pain of the sprain and they both almost healed together over the months. Because it wasn't completely healed I re injured it. He said another 6-8 weeks of taking care of it and I should be fine. I pray he is right and I will accept it. Hopefully I wont be on here again and this diagnosis helps someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: