The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Epigastric Hernia - Post Surgery Pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman91

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Epigastric Hernia - Post Surgery Pain Reply with quote

Hi all, I am Arjun, 25 years old male, from Bangalore, India.

Background Info:

Firstly I hope I can post about epigastric hernia here. Epigastric hernia is the kind of hernia that affects the ab muscle. I had the condition for almost 8 years. My family doc had brushed it aside as a fat deposit. Finally I got a check up done last year (August 09), realized it was hernia and got surgery done the very next day.

What happened?:

My hernia was fairly advanced as the doc told me. I had digestion problems and a visible 'lump', which was actually my stomach sticking out through the ruptured ab muscle. The surgery left me with a more than 10 cm long vertical cut (my doc said laproscopy cannot be done) below my sternum, which was very painful for the first few days. A mesh was inserted, as the doc told me. I didn't do any strenuous activity for 4 weeks. Then i started playing some games, stopping right away when it started to hurt.

What now?:

I get pain on my abs, just below the sternum (top part of the surgical wound) once in a while. I have started hitting the gym as i gained nearly 10 kilos in the past year. I had the pain even before I started my workouts. They still occur. It feels like muscular pain but a little sharper (i mean focused at a point). Is this normal? Will this go away? My ab is pretty muscular. When i flex my muscle I can feel it is pretty stiff with no lumps or depressions. Do i need to get a scan done?

Any advice will be really helpful.
Horatio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No advice to offer I fear, but at least a word of sympathy.

I had not heard of an epigastric hernia until yesterday when I found I had one myself.

I was starting to make another attempt to encourage my inguinal hernia to heal naturally. I had noticed that after a few sessions performing the exercise called the Hanging Leg Raise, my hernia seemed less likely to protrude. I tried this again yesterday but, since the weather was so hot, did the exercise without a shirt on. I noticed what looked like an extra muscle was coming up between my xiphoid process and belly button! Maybe I have had this for some time but not noticed it because I have been wearing a shirt.

I have no idea what are the best exercises for this, since any strain I put on that area seems to result in a bulge. I have been practising a little to see if I can put the abs under a gentle strain without getting a bulge. It has to be very gentle indeed, with me exhaling all the time.

Since you are not getting a bulge at present I would guess the routine to follow for you would be the same as for anyone who is recovering from an inguinal hernia operation. So if no-one offers you any specific advice it might be worth reading through all their experiences as recounted on this forum.

Horatio
candyman91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Hi Horatio, sorry to hear that buddy. My advice is to get checked up by a doc ASAP. It's better to get surgery done at the early stage. That way, your muscle will not get damaged further and the cut will be small. Anyway, please watch your weight. If you put on weight, the 'lump' will be more visible.

As for me, since i posted here, I have been fairly regular at the gym and I play football, go for swimming a few times a month and cycle. I still get the ache once in a while but it is less often now and also less intense. You take care of your health. Good luck buddy Smile
Horatio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear things are getting better for you, Arjun!

I must admit to feeling reluctant to see a doctor - I am already determined not to have an operation.

A few years ago I consulted a very old Naturopath (sadly now dead). He told me he had seen several umbilical hernias, one very large indeed, (like a tennis ball), and that that had healed up without surgery.

I did not take much notice at the time, being more concerned with my inguinal hernia. I guess the treatment he used on the umbilical hernia was basically taking care of diet, getting enough sleep, and exercising gently while keeping the hernia reduced.

This morning, after a good night's sleep, I tried some very gentle lying leg raises, with knees bent, and was able to perform them without a protrusion occuring, so I feel a surge of optimism. I guess the moral is to follow the advice so many have given on this marvellous site: always concentrate while exercising. Do not just plough on absent-mindedly.

Horatio
candyman91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Hey good to hear that. Good luck buddy but please don't hesitate to pay a visit to a doc if you feel uncomfortable. I say that because I ignored my hernia, not realizing that it is hernia actually. I wish you luck for your recovery. Do keep me posted on your progress.
marchse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you already have a hernia and it suddenly becomes painful, tender, and irreducible, you should also go to the emergency department. Strangulation (cut off blood supply) of intestine within the hernia sac can lead to gangrenous (dead) bowel in as little as six hours. Not all irreducible hernias are strangulated, but they need to be evaluated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: