The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London Bridge Hospital or British Hernia Centre?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike_pol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: London Bridge Hospital or British Hernia Centre? Reply with quote

I will be having an inguinal hernia surgery, apparently my hernia is quite small (doctor could not be sure whether there is a hernia at all without seeing the MRI scan results). I will be going private as I have medical insurance (AXA) from work. I could have it at London Bridge Hospital, the surgeon that I spoke to seems experienced and does a lot of hernia operations, but a friend of mine says that British Hernia Centre are the only ones who offer mesh repairs without any stitches and very quick recovery. AXA will cover London Bridge Hospital but not British Hernia Centre. LBH is obviously a very good hospital, is it worth forking out 2500pounds out of my own pocket to have the operation done at British Hernia Centre?
Juba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: London Bridge Hospital or British Hernia Centre? Reply with quote

For my hernia healing I bought some Chinese herbal medicine, a hernia support whose pads contained herbal medicine and a traditional hernia support. Total cost less than 100 pounds Sterling and I didn't have to let anybody cut my body open. The choice is yours.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, this is probably not the best forum for your question

But you could try a search here using the keywords 'British Hernia centre' to see what other people have said.
Dave1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Mike,
I was thinking the same thing but decided on using a general surgeon probably at London bridge myself as I work nearby all use the tension free mesh method the only thing I see different is that BHC uses a slightly different method to sticking but if it was that good why dont they all do it that way seems standard stiches or staples is still the most common route not sure what sort of aftercare you get from BHC either my local GP said heard that part wasnt too good there.
I shall be having mine done in the next few weeks ignore all the bad comments internet is a wonderful thing but most only write the bad experiences you have to be extremely unlucky to have any major issues this is one of the most common operations performed & unlikely to have any issues especially when you are paying a consultant to do it with years of experience
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How unlikely, exactly? Try asking your surgeon for a guarantee that there will be no long-term complications.
Dave1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several & asked many questions this was one comment

"Damage to the spermatic cord is extremely rare, so rare that I never mention it as a possible complication. I use prolene mesh made by Bard, and I fix it in with small stainless steel staples. I have done it this way on many hundred occasions, and have never had problems from the mesh or the staples"

There are 1000's of these done every year yes some will go wrong but most are fine have spoken to a number of people myself recently that had them done no issues at all after a few weeks of discomfort
thoullis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: London Bridge Hospital or British Hernia Centre? Reply with quote

I had my inguinal hernia repaired under the NHS at Frimley Park Hospital in Surrey back in Oct. using the mesh method. Prior to the operation, I felt very nervous having seen all the posts on this site. Anyway, I went ahead and the operation was performed on a Saturday morning which is very convenient for me since I run my own business (I wonder if private centres like the British Hernia Centre also carry out hernia repairs on a Saturday)!!? I have since made a pain-free full recovery and am back to playing Badminton every Monday plus tennis in the summer. I am 66.

Apparently, older people are less likely to suffer post-operative pain and/or complications with this procedure than younger people.

On the basis of this experience who needs to spend money to have the operation carried out privately?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Dave1000

Damage to the spermatic cord is not the problem and your surgeon knows that is not the problem. It is easy for a surgeon to avoid damaging the spermatic cord. Not so easy to avoid damaging a nerve, of which there are many in the inguinal area. It is nerve damage that causes most of the cases reported on this forum.

@Thoullis

Be thankful that you were one of the lucky 70 per cent. Also be aware that those who decide not to opt for surgery do so because they have friends who were not in the lucky majority. If you check the published statistics as we have, the odds are about the same as playing Russian roulette with a six-shooter.

Herniabible Staff
Dave1000

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair commment what I am trying to say is that the odds are far higher of successful operation than not of course you will get a few issues with some but then we talking about one of the most common operations out there some 100,000+ NHS alone without the private sector just trying to say dont be put off from a few horror stories on here as many more are successful.
thoullis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herniabible:

I believe that in the US the figure is more like 750.000 hernia operations carried out per year! So even if only 5% develop pain and/or complications that's an awful lot of people ready to post on this forum with their particular horror story! Consider this: if you purchase a laptop computer which performs according to spec. do you write to the supplier thanking them for supplying you with a product which works? On the other hand, if you experience problems either with the product or the service provided you want to tell the whole world. Right? A few years ago whilst driving on a motorway I witnessed a horrific accident where a truck had crossed the central reservation crushing several cars and causing several fatalities. Do I still drive on motorways? Of course I do...

However, at the end of the day all the literature I have ever read from qualified medical practitioners states that the only way to completely eliminate a hernia is via surgery although not all hernias require immediate treatment and 'watchful waiting' is an opprtunity for many people.
Juba

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: London Bridge Hospital or British Hernia Centre? Reply with quote

My brother, who lives in Oxford, England, got a hernia before I did. Being the adventurous sort, he tried some self-healing things but didn't get all the way with it, so he had an operation on our lovely National Health Service that does it for free. Then he got another hernia on the other side and had another operation. He also suffered some nerve damage that caused numbness in his thigh.

When I had my hernia the first thing I did was start reading about what kind of surgery I should have. Then I thought: no rush, why not try and fix it by myself? I went on a fast, did certain yoga exercises and drank teas and rice gruel made with hawthorn berries and ground clove. After three weeks the hernia was GONE. Later I got hold of some not very expensive over-the-counter Chinese herbal medicine, which I took for three months to consolidate the healing. That was nine years ago and I haven't been bothered by any hernias since (touch wood).

Who do you think is happier with his outcome, my brother or me?

You can follow my story in the following post dating from 2003: http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=5568
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: