The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

post operative pain - mesh repair - inguinal hernia
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobif

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ DerbyDave

I'm the same age as you (also in UK) and had a single hernia on the right side. At first I wasn't going to do anything about it as it wasn't causing me any real discomfort or pain but after reading up on it some more and realising that they don't heal up on their own, and usually just get worse over time, I decided to go for surgery.

It took in total around 10 months to finally get an operation date (after my initial GP check) and over this time the pain did get steadily worse until I found I had trouble walking long distances or standing for long periods of time.

I had the operation 4 months ago now and it seems to have been a success for me. I have felt the odd twinge/discomfort for the past few weeks but have so far put that down to the cold weather. All in all I am in FAR less pain now then I was a few months ago.

I think as long as you pick a good hospital and know the risks (there is a chance that they can return again after the op) it is worth doing. I haven't yet started going back to the gym or jogging again as I still don't feel 100% but as I said I definitely feel better than I did before the op.

My dad also had a hernia op around 5 years ago and is still fully recovered to this day. If it is causing you this much pain then you should definitely consider having it done.

T
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobif

Your advice is heartfelt and well-meant, but this forum and website are about treating a hernia without surgery. We have a growing number of case reports of people whose hernias have disappeared on their own after following advice along the lines that we recommend.

MCB's story is not unique, but applies to at least 30 per cent of all people who have hernia repair surgery, though not all of these get such severe complications.

MCB's regret is, not just that he had the surgery, but that he didn't know about our site beforehand and might have successfully got rid of his hernia without undergoing the risks of surgery.

Most people do recover well from this surgery, but they are very, very lucky.
Thank you again for posting, and wishing you continued well-being
Herniabible Staff
fuerza

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Derby Dave

If you must have surgery, definitely stay away from mesh. You must get a pure-tissue repair. There are so many adverse reports filed with the FDA here in the USA that it's scary. The only place that I know of that does pure-tissue repair is in Munich, Germany - Dr. Muschaweck. Yes, I know it is a plane trip for you and yes, I know that is will probably bill an out-of-pocket expense but you do NOT want to deal with years and years of post herniorraphy pain syndrome because you have a synthetic mesh in your groin area. Of course, the ultimate place for a pure-tissue repair is at the Shouldice Hospital in Canada - they are even cheaper than Dr. Muschaweck. Best of luck with whatever decision you make. Take care...
saeed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I was just looking to in various forum in order to let other people know about my painful Post double inguinal hernia operation(Laparoscopy). Since my operation 8 weeks ago I constantly have had pain at the ctr of my stomach i.e. around umbilical area where the surgeon had inserted the camera and the pain improves when I lay down but increases when sitting upright. When I told my consultant about the pain he straight way become defensive and saying that he just inserted the camera there an he does not know why I am having the pain, consequently I lost total confidence on him and will seek a second opinion but I wish that I had found this website before my operation and as result I would have done more research on what to do. I have not been at work for 8weeks but the consultant told me that I would be able to go to work after 3days of operation. My concern is what happens in the future?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider whether you want to look at the options given on http://www.herniabible.com
Advice can also be found at http://herniabible.wordpress.com
themassofmen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Inguinal Hernia Open Mesh Repair Post Operative Pain Reply with quote

What can I say but regret. I regret that I wasn't given or was aware of the high incidence of post-operative chronic pain which can be permanent. Yes, I knew surgery would be painful but that it would diminish after a few weeks. It has only been three weeks since my op but the feeling hasn't changed. As reported by others, very sensitive around the whole of the right groin and particularly sensitive when walking/moving where the scrotum/groin meets the upper leg/thigh. If I am in a car I can feel every vibration, let alone bump. I did phone the hospital and spoke to a lovely staff nurse who reassured me that it is early days and I must be patient with healing. Fair enough but I know that this is not normal. I should not be partially limping after 3 weeks. Depression rolls over me like a wave first thing in the morning and it is a battle to get up and clean myself etc. What's the point I think when the only way I can be comfortable is to be totally still. I have an active job, a beautiful girlfriend and a passion for modern jive dancing. In short a very active man for 55. This injury was only four weeks old before surgery and I feel I was rushed into it simply because of the efficiency of the particular hospital I was referred to via a private work scheme. The literature leads you to believe that it is a routine and easy operation, but this is far from the truth. If it was said that you have a 20-30% chance of permanent chronic pain do you think anyone would have the op unless under an emergency situation? I don't think so. I am taking every four hours either 2 paracetamol or 2 ibuprofen along with 1 tramadol morning and night. What to do now? I feel that, for now, my life is over and that I will have a long time off work and may even have to be medically retired after my sick leave entitlement is at an end. I love my girlfriend so would naturally have to let her go to pursue a life with a healthy person. My dancing, which feeds my soul, is no more. I hope that the sensitivity will settle eventually and I could lead some sort of a life, but how long that is and how much damage to my life there will be in the meantime is anyone's guess. If anyone has any good news about the sensitive pain getting better it would be good to hear it.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@themassofmen, the nurse is right that it's very early days yet and there will still be some degree of internal bruising which will settle down. True that you shouldn't be getting this pain but it is extremely likely to improve. Homeopathic arnica 30 is often helpful. Ask in your local health food store.
themassofmen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that reminder and the tip of Arnica. Not sure of its efficacy while taking chemical pain meds though. I have a friend who uses a Professional Scenar device along the neck, shoulders, back and face. It heals on a subtle level by locating anomalies in the nerve pathways and alerts the body to where it needs assistance. I am seeing her next wednesday and will do so for a period of weeks. I have a home scenar device but am reluctant to use it directly on the groin until a good deal of time has elapsed. Must take the time to rest, get the best advice and not panic. The hospital is a private co-operative one run for the benefit of its members so I am sure that they will be helpful as much as possible. The only drawback is that it is one and a half hours away and that is a lifetime while feeling every vibration of the road. The battle begins, particularly where work is involved as this injury was sustained due to not being trained in the use of heavy equipment where it was supposed to be a two-man task.
themassofmen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Premature ejeculation Reply with quote

I am updating the post above. I had surgery four and a half weeks ago. I'm glad to say that things are getting better. I am now able to wash the area because the sensitivity in the groin area has decreased considerably and am walking almost normally now. Yesterday I came off pain meds and am just using Arnica 30 now twice a day. I still feel very uncomfortable if I drive and have to pull the lower safety belt away from my groin as it reflects the vibration from the road and I feel it, however, not wincing as I was. I have had the courage to actually masturbate in order to see if everything was working. It did but was very quick and I wonder if premature ejeculation is an effect of tightness in the area and hope that this eases with time. All in all I am hopeful now that it will be okay in a couple of months. I can feel a hardness where the mesh is but there isn't a lot of fat on me to mask it. Will give it a couple of more weeks before I attempt intercourse and that will coincide with my return to work which will make it six weeks since op.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: