The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

post operative pain - mesh repair - inguinal hernia
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: post operative pain - mesh repair - inguinal hernia Reply with quote

i found this site and forum by clicking on a link whilst reading an old article on hernia repair on the daily mail website.
i searched for the article as i remember reading it in the newspaper 3 or 4 months ago. i wanted to find the name of the surgeon as i am considering seeking his help.
i have just visited a US forum and read many horror stories of complications following hernia (all types) repair by insertion of a mesh.
i was delighted to find this site dedicated to questioning the medical profession's automatic assumption that surgical repair of hernias in the first instance is always the best poilcy.
i certainly wish i had done some research and found this site before electing for surgical repair.
(a brief history) - i first noticed a small lump in my left groin in 2004, i suspected it was a hernia caused by weight training ( i am 38 year old male) but chose to do nothing about as it was causing me no symptoms of any kind, no discomfort, i was only aware of it when showering etc.
in 2006 a chance, informal conversation with a doctor caused me to seek medical advice. subsequently, my GP refered me to a consultant, who suggested surgical repair, no mention was made of post operative complications and the option of leaving the hernia until it was causing symptoms / pain was not discussed.
i had surgical repair carried out in march this year on the NHS (it was not the original consultant, but a registrar who performed the surgery).
prior to going into hospital i was a fit, healthy and happy young man.
since the day of the surgery i have experienced constant pain and tightness in my groin, i walk with a limp, cannot exercise, find it difficult to experience pleasure in life due to the discomfort and have become very depressed.
it now transpires that the registrar made his incision the wrong way, which has caused the scar tissue to form around the cord feeding blood to my testicles, which pulls my penis to one side, causing dicomfort and an erection is impossible to sustain due to the pain.
there is almost certainly nerve damage which will subside over the years but never full heal.
the consultant has offered to attempt to remove the mesh and free up the cord, but due to the original scar being in the wrong place will have to cut further out. the repair is not simple and i could lose my left testicle.
i am hopeful that things will improve after this repair, however, am worried that they may get worse.
the reason i am writing this post is to advise anyone thinking about having surgical repair for a hernia to carefully consider your options.
if i had followed the advice on the hernia bible website i could have had 20 symptom free years with my hernia. now i am facing 20 painful, unfullfilled, unhappy years.
after my next surgery i plan to contact newspapers and television channels in the hope of reaching more people with this warning.
i hope herniabible.com and this forum will be successful in advising people of the alternatives to surgical repair for a hernia.

Note from Herniabible
If you have had inguinal hernia surgery more than a year ago, please consider completing our brief online survey to report any long-term complications
http://surveys.polldaddy.com/s/77FBF0D4B2748423/
matt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i chose surgery because i was prevented from playing sport at the level i wanted to. if i didn't play any sports i was asymptomatic in all aspects of every day life. i was advised by my surgeon that i could complete core stability exercises to try and improve the strength and stability of my abdominals and thus stop over activity in my adductors where my problems manifested themselves, however if i continued to play sport the problem would not go away and the likelyhood was a surgical repair at sometime in the future.

a no brainer for me. get the surgery ASAP, it went fantastically well, a bilateral open mesh repair running after 6 days

anyone wants advice happy to give it
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were lucky to be still participating in sports after your "no-brainer" decision. Here is a selection of recent medical articles giving the reasons why, for the vast majority, "watchful waiting" is a safer, more effective option in the long term. This involves simply keeping the inguinal hernia patient under observation, and resorting to surgery only in essential cases.

"Watchful waiting can be recommended as an alternative to surgery for men with inguinal hernias. Emergency surgery is needed only rarely, and a substantial minority of patients have persistent discomfort for at least several years after hernia repair surgery."
O'Dwyer and colleagues, Annals of Surgery, 2006

"In a survey taken one year after surgery, 29% of patients still suffered persistent post-operative pain. Younger patients were worst affected. The problem equally affected all types of hernia and surgical technique"
Bay-Nielsen and colleagues, Danish Hernia Database, 2001

"After surgical mesh repair, 15% or more hernia cases are reported to have a recurrence, and postoperative pain and disability are frequent, especially after a second repair operation."
Neumayer and colleagues, New England Journal of Medicine, 2004

One year after hernia repair surgery, 3 to 6% of hernia patients will have severe pain, and more than 30% will have mild pain. This pain persists for many years and affects everyday activities.
Page and colleagues, British Journal of Surgery, 2002.

On the Herniabible website is a detailed account of a triathlon athlete who did not want to take the risk of surgery and was nevertheless able to resume his training and race participation by wearing a Flat Pad hernia support and doing Pilates exercises as described in the website. His hernia has now healed itself. See http://www.herniabible.com/roy.html

Last edited by admin on Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mcb2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

hello to anyone reading this post. i am the author of the original post. first,i would like to say that i am in no way connected to any of the websites or products related to this forum. my only regret is that i did not find this site and try the advice before electing for surgery. to anyone considering surgical repair for an inguinal hernia i would advise caution. take time to research the pros and cons. study this site, try the flat pad support. because belive me, when you have surgery and it does not go well, no matter how much you wish it, there is no going back.
when i wrote the original post i did not actually understand that not only could you maintain your hernia without developing further problems via various techniques such as exercises, but you can actually heal the hernia over time with a flat pad support. now to me that really is a no brainer.
im glad matt had successful surgery but i did not. yes, my original post was negative in tone, but that was the point of the post. without being overdramatic i can honsetly say that the surgery, while maybe not quite ruining my life, certainly changed my life in every way for the worse. believe me, when you have surgery to repair something which is giving you no pain or complications to a life of chronic pain and penile disfunction it changes you for the worse. my personality went from that of a healthy, motivated, virile young man who felt 10 years younger than his age to a limping, depressed, frustrated person whose interest and abilities in physical exercise and the opposite sex were wiped out by the stoke of the surgeon's scalpel.
okay, this is starting to get negative again. this is an update, so here is how things have gone since my original post. i went in for further surgery to have the mesh removed in dec 07 (by the professor this time). he said that because i was relatively young and healthy that the hernia should not recurr. after the surgery he told me that he had removed the mesh and that he had also removed a nerve. i wasnt entirely happy with this as i had clearly expressed the desire to have only the mesh removed and no other form of treatment. however, i felt relatively well after the operation, and went home trying to be positive.
after about two weeks i started to realise that all was not well. he had went in through the same scar, so the tightness of the scar tissue pulling my penis markedly to the left returned. i am now left with a penis which is pulled to the left (painfully) for the rest of my life.
however, it soon became clear that his decision to remove a nerve had been the main problem. the tightness that i felt between my abdomen and my left leg was less due to the removal of the mesh. however, after about a month, when the scar had healed, the pain in my groin was actually increasing. i am actually in considerably more pain than i was after the original operation, and this is constant pain. every minute of every day i feel pain in my groin. physical activity obviously makes it worse. every step while walking produces pain and discomfort.
mcb2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: update part 2 Reply with quote

just to finish this update. its easy for me to get negative while writing on this subject. suffice to say, my feelings on surgical repair for inguinal hernia are obvious. just imagine having constant moderate to severe pain in your groin, for the rest of your life. im told that in 3 years the pain may start to subside, it certainly has not abated any in the last 6 months. im also led to believe that damge to large nerves does not heal well.
there is also the problem that came from me limping for so long after the original operation due to the mesh being so tight. removal of the mesh has helped, however, when i try to exercise on my rowing machine, my hip now clicks due to the effect of walking with a limp for so long.
anyway, the reason that i am writing another post is to warn anyone due to have surgery for a hernia, that things may go well, however, they may also go badly, and once the damage is done, there is no returning to your pre operative condition.
it seems incredible to me that there are tens of thousands of surgical repairs carried out on inguinal hernias each year when they can be healed with a ?50 flat pad support. if i had known about them before my operation and if i had known how badly surgery would have affected my life, i would have gladly paid ?5000 for such a product.
i would urge anyone reading this to seriously consider this account of my experience of surgery to search the internet for more accounts of post operative pain and complications. i can assure you that i am not unique in my experience.
i would also (in all seriousness) urge the people involved in selling this product to take it on to the dragons den on bbc2 in order to raise awareness of this issue and promote the product on a global scale.
mcb2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: 2 years Reply with quote

hello to everyone reading this post. I am pleased to see that the post is still active and that it has been viewed many times. I hope the admin wont mind me adding another reply. It has been 2 years since my original op and 15 months since the 2nd op. I still experience considerable pain and numbness and suffer sexual dysfunction. It is interesting to note the article by O'Dwyer on watchful waiting as he was my consultant. I was an ideal candidate for watchful waiting, I was young, healthy, physically fit, with a small herina which was asymptomatic (i had no pain or discomfort, it did not affect my life at all) and which had not grown in 3 years. During the consultation he did not mention watchful waiting or any alternatives to surgery.
It is hard to quantify how badly the pain, numbness and sexual disfunction has affected my life. Suffice to say that I now understand the term 'Over the Hill' , my days as a healthy, physically and sexually active young man are behind me. Psychologically it is very difficult to accept, I have been depressed since the first operation. My message is simply this, if you are in a similar position to the one I was in and you are reading this website, then you are in a position to avoid the pain that i have suffered. Please read as much information on watchful waiting and alternatives to surgery as you can. Remember when consulting doctors (GPs or surgeons) that it is only their opinion and that there are alternatives views on what to do when you have a hernia.
Yes, there are cases of hernia repair surgery which have went well, however, mine is a genuine case where the surgery was unnecessary and the outcome significantly damaged the quality of my life. Due to there being no follow up visit to the consultant, I imagine that my case has been statistically classed as a success, how many other outcomes similar to mine will be classed as successful? It is common for people in the UK to assume that the medical establishment 'knows best', however, I truely believe that if I had never visited my GP with a lump in my groin that I would be happily living with my hernia in blissful ignorance. As you are reading this website, then you have access to information which will mean that you could live with your hernia for many years or even heal it without surgery. Please invest the time to understand the alternatives to surgery for an inguinal hernia.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear mcb2
On behalf of everyone in this forum, thank you so much for posting your story. Your warnings are not going unheeded. Some people are definitely beginning to think twice. We know because they have told us.
Would it be possible for you to write to Mr O'Dwyer? He ought to know your outcome in case he is preparing any more statistics.
If you're not sure of his address, it should be on the research papers he has published.
Very best wishes
Herniabible Staff
Hernia holda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: hernias Reply with quote

can anyone tell me how many hernia operations are done with complications and are hospital surgeons aware of just how many people have problems afterwards cos i was never told that i may end up with such pain after my operation and i have not had a follow up appointment to discuss this and my doctor tells me just give it time. What worries me is all the postings on the internet and even the american hospital research sites say that post operative inguinal hernia pain is quite a common event, why are we not better informed about this.
I felt that i was shoved in as a day patient- i had open surgery with huge scar, i am a woman and first i was told prob not hernia "we dont see many hernias in woman" and then just before op assistant surgeon told me that they would have a good look around so the incision would be larger than expected.I could hardly walk that afternoon when being discharged but felt like an animal on a production line.

Last edited by Hernia holda on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hernia holda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: hernia pain after operation for inguinal repair Reply with quote

[Dear Mcb2, my heart goes out to you as i too understand and can relate to your story. I am or was a happy go lucky ordinary woman of 45 years who has had 3 previous c section baby operations buring the past 20 years.poss what caused my hernia cos quite rare in woman(indirect inguinal)
I was having a lot of pain while attending hospital out paitents vistits (lower right side pain, gnawing ache, with pins and needles sensations deep within my body)after 8 long monthsgoing back and forwards to hosp i saw a surgeon who decided to operate with prolene mess repair-fantastic i was told it would put me right and i would be my old happy energetic self again!
what was NEVER told to me and i thought i was alone until tonight when i discovered this forum was that i would be still in horrific pain that is not much different to what i was experiencing before- 4 months after the operation.I too had no after care or follow up appointment.its so wrong!! [/b]
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: New Poll For Post-Op Complications Reply with quote

Dear MCB

More than 5,000 people have now read your postings, so let's hope some will have taken heed of your warning.

This is to let everyone know who is following this thread that if any of you had hernia repair surgery more than a year ago and are still suffering post-operative complications, you can report them in a poll which is now available on the Herniabible Blog

We intend to keep the media informed of the results of the poll.

Herniabible Staff

Last edited by admin on Tue May 19, 2009 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
ches

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: any succesess out there for mesh removal Reply with quote

Hi there,this is my first post on this web site.I had a double hernia operation five years ago and since then i have suffered chronic pain discomfort,soreness in my left groin.Exercise:sport,dancing ,is very difficult,the more exercise more pain.I am on painkillers throughout the day just to enable me to go to work.Since day of my op in 2004 i have had two more exploratory ops last one in 2006 to split some nerves but no less pain.I have been to the pain clinic had all sotrs of drugs for nerve pain but no better.When i bend down it feels as though something is digging in my stomach.I was a very sporty 42 yr old and now i am a frustrated 47 yr old like MCB says wishing i had never had my original op as the hernia was causing me very little problems.So please realise that though a hernia op is regarded as routine they do go wrong so think carefully before having an op.I have seen three surgeons and they are reluctant to remove the mesh,yet a highly regarded surgeon is confident to remove it and i mprove my quality of life.I am very unsure what to do.I really feel for MCB as his mesh removal went badly and you must be gutted.Are there any successful mesh removals out there?I would be very grateful if someone could let me know.Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ches

Thank you for posting. Every warning like yours and MCB's helps to make people think before having this surgery.

Please consider filling in our very brief online survey at

To answer your question, this is a surgeon in the USA who specialises in removing mesh
http://www.noinsurancesurgery.com/Hernia/Mesh.htm

Wishing you well
Herniabible Staff
ches

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 years Reply with quote

Hi MCB2
MCB2 fIRST of all i,d like to thankyou for putting the article on the forum about your mesh removal as i was due to have mine removed a few weeks ago and when i saw your article i have asked for more time to think.I really feel for you it is very difficult to deal with pain constantly amd as you say it is depressing.It is hard when your friends are doing simple things like walking to the shop but you know that,s going to increase your pain.I,M unsure what to do now i,ve had injections from pain clinic different medication but nothing works.A lot of the syptons you had prior to your mesh removal are similar to mine now.I find it hard to get through the day even with painkillers.I,ve been like this for 5 years and this mesh removal is last chance saloon for me.The experienced consultant is confident he can improve my quality of life but i,m hesitant after your experience MCB.Please do you or anyone know of any successes on mesh removals before i make this big decision.I would be very grateful.Thanks
ches

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MCB I AM STILL THIMKING OF HAVING MY MESH REMOVED TO RELIEVE CHRONIC PAIN WHICH I,VE HAD FOR 5 YEARS.THE PROF FESSOR HAS OFFERED TO REMOVE IT SAYING IT SHOULD IMPROVE MY QUALITY OF LIFE THOUGH IT MAY TAKE UP TO 2 YEARS FOR A FULL RECOVERY.HE SAYS IF I AM NOT MADE ANY BETTER I SHOULD BE NO WORSE.JUST WONDERED IF YOUR CONDITION HAD IMPROVED AT ALL?WOULD BE GRATEFUL IF YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP.REGARDS CHES
DerbyDave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Glad I found this site.

I'm a 33 year old UK male with a double hernia. I found out I had these several months ago after suffering from quite a lot of pain in my right testicle and lower abdominal. I went to the hospital and they found the hernias while having an ultrasound. At the time I didn't really have any pain on the hernia on the left, but I'm a pretty active guy and my day and night job involves lifting etc, in which the hernias have got worse. And now I'm in pretty constant pain with both of them.

I've booked myself into the hospital, already have had the pre-op, and now received the letter from the NHS telling me to ring to make an appointment for the op.

After reading this site and stories I'm starting to worry very much of to go ahead with it. However, as mentioned, the hernias are affecting my way of life. I've at to stop cycling due to being in constant pain. No more weights, can't really do any jogging. It's affecting my day job. I've just given my night job(Bouncer) up because of the pain when I'm standing for long periods.

What can I do? Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Surgery Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: