The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Healed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lapaz66

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both sides of the argument are half right.
Fascia tissue can probably repair itself...in some cases...and to a certain extend. Every hernia is different.
But what does ''healed'' mean? I think the fascia tissue will never be 100% again, it will remain a weak spot, and even if you don't feel the bulge anymore, the hernia can still be there.

I think the real issue is that for >95% of hernia patients, asking them to wear the support garment, do pilates exercises and closely watch diet is asking too much, they do not have the discipline or motivation it requires.
In particular since even with following the regime, the outcome is still uncertain. Surgery is the better option for most patients.
boptah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't really about being right or wrong, It is now well established that healing an inguinal hernia is achievable. Going the surgery route does not cure the underlying problem of weakened muscles and poor diet causing bloating. And so is far more likely to give you problems further down the rd.
When you have surgery the fascia heals afterwards, And so it is logical to assume that it will anyway if the conditions are right. The surgery route will always be second best, because you know that the area is still weak.
It is like smoking cigarettes, When you are a smoker you know you have to give it up. If you get lung cancer the doctors might be able to help, But you know you have give up anyway.
lapaz66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you claim diet is most important, can you please give us some examples what meals you eat on a regular day, and what food you avoid?
Thanks.
boptah

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lapaz66"]Since you claim diet is most important, can you please give us some examples what meals you eat on a regular day, and what food you avoid?
Thanks.[/quote]

Good question. I virtually eliminated sugar, flour and oats. I eat a lot of fish and vegetables, when i feel tempted i have artificial sweeteners in a dessert. I only have small portions of potatoes and rice. The real enemies of a hernia are sugar and white flour.
I am a farmer.and so my regular day is . Breakfast= tea or coffee, lunch= eggs bacon and tomatoes , or tinned fish and salad, dinner= fish and chips, curry, roast vegetables with olive oil. chinese food. dessert= occasionally angel delight ( no sugar).
If i weaken and have something like pancakes with sugar and lemon. Then i blow up like a balloon. And even start to get headaches.
I actually prefer my diet now. It was very hard at the begining and giving up sugar is a nightmare.
lapaz66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fast reply.
You are saying to avoid sugar, does this include fruit(juice) too? After all, they contain sugar too, even if only natural sugars.
What about whole grain bread, do you avoid this too?
And maybe brown rice instead of white rice?
And dairy (cheese, yogurt)?
And may I ask if you think the softness/hardness of stools plays a role, and how you think diet affects this? In my case: I have a feeling that tinned fish makes them too soft, and also increases gas.
I try to avoid food that produce gas, but I have not really figured out yet what particular foods to avoid in my case.

Furthermore, if you did limit the size of your meals, did you not loose weight, especially since you seem to do a lot of labor?
Maybe loosing weight is not a problem for others, but for me it is, I am already skinny and with reducing meal sizes I am loosing more weight than I think is healthy for me. But when I eat more, I notice it has a bad effect on my hernia. Thanks.
boptah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lapaz66"]Thank you for the fast reply.
You are saying to avoid sugar, does this include fruit(juice) too? After all, they contain sugar too, even if only natural sugars.
What about whole grain bread, do you avoid this too?
And maybe brown rice instead of white rice?
And dairy (cheese, yogurt)?
And may I ask if you think the softness/hardness of stools plays a role, and how you think diet affects this? In my case: I have a feeling that tinned fish makes them too soft, and also increases gas.
I try to avoid food that produce gas, but I have not really figured out yet what particular foods to avoid in my case.

Furthermore, if you did limit the size of your meals, did you not loose weight, especially since you seem to do a lot of labor?
Maybe loosing weight is not a problem for others, but for me it is, I am already skinny and with reducing meal sizes I am loosing more weight than I think is healthy for me. But when I eat more, I notice it has a bad effect on my hernia. Thanks.[/quote]

Good points.
In the begining i eliminated all of those and have slowly reintroduced certain things. Fruit juice In small quantities, very occasionally bread. white rice is ok for me. I have all dairy now but in smaller quantities. Stools need to be soft and is very important to constantly monitor. . All fish for me is fine. I probably have too much fish. I did lose a lot of weight but that has now normalised. Without sugar weight maintenance is easy, because your body sugar levels and metabolism normalises.
I can see your dilemma. Do you eat butter and steak and eggs bodybuilding powder etc. Also why not have 10 small meals a day. Sounds mad but i did it to help break the sugar addiction.
Also how is you midsection training progressing. As i said in an earlier post, When i could do 3 sets of 50 situps, I knew my hernia would not come out anymore. I set myself small training goals that eventually became enjoyable.
But you are right to concentrate on the diet first . good luck.
lapaz66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly eat butter, do not eat steaks but do eat eggs (one a day) and that doesn't seem to be the problem, and fish and chicken. I do not use sugar.
I have done exercises and walking for months, but it does not help.
At most my hernia stays in for 1-2 hours and than the bulge is back.
Any internal pressure will make the hernia pop out. I think food plays a role here, in particular production of gas. But I have not been able to figure out the cause of the variation in gas production yet.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will experiment more with food, it's my last chance.
boptah

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lapaz66"]I hardly eat butter, do not eat steaks but do eat eggs (one a day) and that doesn't seem to be the problem, and fish and chicken. I do not use sugar.
I have done exercises and walking for months, but it does not help.
At most my hernia stays in for 1-2 hours and than the bulge is back.
Any internal pressure will make the hernia pop out. I think food plays a role here, in particular production of gas. But I have not been able to figure out the cause of the variation in gas production yet.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will experiment more with food, it's my last chance.[/quote]

Yes. I think you have found the key. When you have eliminated the 'gas' problem and your hernia stays in for a few days. It seems miraculous how fast you can heal. Do you wear a support?. The flatpad is the best i had used ( no connection) and you can buy them off ebay from flatpad, ( returns) about 25 last time i looked.
When i was younger i used to do bodybuilding, and that mentality helped with doing the exercises. Keep on going. The most important ingredient is Willpower..
lapaz66

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wear the flat pad support.

I am busy eliminating all foods that produce gas. An example: avocados, though supposedly healthy, give my intestines problems with digestion. Fatty foods in general seem a problem for me.
But it's not just food that gives too much internal pressure, sitting behind a desk somehow also gives the wrong pressure, making my hernia pop out. luckily I can avoid this as much as possible.

The fact that my hernia can stay in for hours before popping out on a day gives me at least the idea it's maybe not hopeless.
I'll give an update when I think I am making progress. Thanks for the support.
boptah

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lapaz66"]Yes, I wear the flat pad support.

I am busy eliminating all foods that produce gas. An example: avocados, though supposedly healthy, give my intestines problems with digestion. Fatty foods in general seem a problem for me.
But it's not just food that gives too much internal pressure, sitting behind a desk somehow also gives the wrong pressure, making my hernia pop out. luckily I can avoid this as much as possible.

The fact that my hernia can stay in for hours before popping out on a day gives me at least the idea it's maybe not hopeless.
I'll give an update when I think I am making progress. Thanks for the support.[/quote]

That is how i did it. Keep on eliminating/replacing the gassy foods. The fact that you can go hours for a time without the bulge is progress. At my worst. My hernia would only stay-in when i laid down. It would come out easily when i was standing up and moving around even with my support on. ( i kid you not). This was how bad the bloating was. Once i could go a few hours, I stepped up the exercises until i could break a sweat. I also did stretching so that i could do more and harder reps on the sit-ups. ( old fashioned i know, but worked for me ).
Not long before you can go a whole day. Then it becomes downhill after that.
lapaz66

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have my diet under control (almost no gas, a little is unavoidable with digestion) but my hernia is still coming out.

The problem is certain movements (like bending over) or sitting behind a desk.
Basically anything that increases internal pressure, diet is not the only problem it seems.
By now I think I am doing everything that can be done within reason (wearing support, excercises, walking and watching diet) and I will watch it for some more weeks. Thanks.
boptah

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lapaz66"]I think I have my diet under control (almost no gas, a little is unavoidable with digestion) but my hernia is still coming out.

The problem is certain movements (like bending over) or sitting behind a desk.
Basically anything that increases internal pressure, diet is not the only problem it seems.
By now I think I am doing everything that can be done within reason (wearing support, excercises, walking and watching diet) and I will watch it for some more weeks. Thanks.[/quote]

Just an observation, If your hernia comes out when you are bending over, then that is excessively weak muscles. If i was you , I would have a love affair with all and every ab/core exercise you can imagine. Treat it like you are entering a competition in 6 months and train like a lunatic . I would join a gym and work up to heavy squats one you can keep the hernia in for a day or two. ( squats work brilliantly for core muscles)
And throughout the day just do a few squats without weight whenever you are aware. ( i still do ) Also when i walk i lift my legs slightly higher to help build muscle. Hope you get it cracked,
lapaz66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Maybe you're right it's weak muscles, but maybe the tear is simply too large. I gave some examples, but in general I must say I find my hernia unpredictable, one day it seems to stay in most of the day, the next day it's already out in the morning and for the rest of the day, I cannot explain the difference.
I give it some more weeks to see some progress, and will concentrate on core exercises, but I do not have the stomach anymore for another 6 months.

I do believe the body can heal hernias, but it seems to me it's a bit of a lottery. Even if you do everything right, for example bad luck with a sudden movement can tear the tissue again.
All the success stories on this site seem to be from people who struggled for years, and the longer you try, the higher your chances I guess, and at some point it seems to have paid off. But I do not have that time anymore, I probably will opt for surgery soon.
boptah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="lapaz66"]Thanks for the advice. Maybe you're right it's weak muscles, but maybe the tear is simply too large. I gave some examples, but in general I must say I find my hernia unpredictable, one day it seems to stay in most of the day, the next day it's already out in the morning and for the rest of the day, I cannot explain the difference.
I give it some more weeks to see some progress, and will concentrate on core exercises, but I do not have the stomach anymore for another 6 months.

I do believe the body can heal hernias, but it seems to me it's a bit of a lottery. Even if you do everything right, for example bad luck with a sudden movement can tear the tissue again.
All the success stories on this site seem to be from people who struggled for years, and the longer you try, the higher your chances I guess, and at some point it seems to have paid off. But I do not have that time anymore, I probably will opt for surgery soon.[/quote]

I forgot to mention , My most popular exercise which i think did the most good in the begining was to lie flat on my back with my knees in the air. I then opened my legs as far as i could and closed them so my knees were tight together, I then held that position for a count of 3 , contracting all the time and really feeling it in my hernia area. I did this for many reps. Until i could not do anymore. It is actually a good exercise for sciatica.
The more i did this exercise, the more i connected to the damaged area and the more the 'hole' closed up.. I still do them today. But i forgot to mention them because they are so much a part of me now, that i took them for granted.
Just to add. When the area is 'on the mend' It is quite difficult for the hernia to reappear. You have to go through the tearing pain again like a fresh hernia, But this time you know what is happening, so you lie down or rest until it is safe to carry on. My hernia can not 'pop' out anymore. those days are long gone. But if i have a sugar and flour binge ( Easter) then i feel a bit of discomfort in that area. and i blow up like a balloon. ( still get a bit of candida).
lapaz66

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume there will be some scar tissue, therefore it probably never feels 100% again.
From what I understood about the physiology, there is a small weak spot called the hesselbach triangle on the inguinal canal that is not covered by muscle tissue, just fiber tissue, where a direct hernia occurs.
With indirect hernias through the inguinal canal, I am not sure there actually is a tear.
Assuming I do have a direct hernia (the doctor couldn't say though), it's this spot that needs to heal, but from own experience so far I can say it's tricky: at times I made progress, but than suddenly the hernia sac slipped through again and it felt as if I was back where I started.
I have done extensive core exercises in past months, I can feel my belly has strengthened, but it has not been enough to heal that weak spot.

Do you still wear the support? If you don't, at what point did you decide to stop wearing it?
Can you go on long walks or running without the hernia pop-out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: