The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting take on the cause of Hernias (Fiber Menace)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernia Self Help Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasmamoe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Interesting take on the cause of Hernias (Fiber Menace) Reply with quote

I was reading a book by Konstantin Monastyrsky called Fiber Menace, in which he describes the negative impact on the digestive system with too much fiber in the diet.

In the book he mentions different kinds of hernias, and about inguinal (groin) hernias, he writes:

"Intestinal bloating from inflammatory diseases caused by indigestible fiber is the primary force capable of expanding the intestines so much that they don‘t have enough room inside the abdominal cavity, and may ripple through the abdominal wall."

Later in the book he writes:

"A low-fiber diet prevents herniation of the abdominal wall by the small intestine, or its protrusion inside the scrotum. These two conditions are likely to occur when the intestines expand beyond the capacity of the abdominal cavity to retain them. There is only one food component capable of causing this kind of expansion: indigestible fiber"

I found this idea extremely interesting, as i know from my self that my hernia protruding is directly linked to what i eat.
If i eat only meat, eggs, dairy etc. my hernia wont protrude, but if i eat fruits, vegetables or bread/grains etc. it gets bad.
MichaelC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I also eat high fiber food too so maybe that was the cause of my hernia? Or maybe something else. My diet wasn't that great back plus my age (50+) so I thought it was the cause of my hernia. I used to drink strong beers and alcohol can contribute to hernia plus I did weight lifting. I changed my diet to alkaline diet last year and my diet is good yet I still have hernia. I always eat high fiber because it helps lower cholesterol and reduces heart diseases. Maybe I should stop eating high fiber then see if my hernia will go away? I've cut back on fat food so I shouldn't be so concern about fiber. I should focus on gluten free. I still have to keep my eyes on my cholesterol though.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MichaelC"]Interesting. I also eat high fiber food too so maybe that was the cause of my hernia? Or maybe something else. My diet wasn't that great back plus my age (50+) so I thought it was the cause of my hernia. I used to drink strong beers and alcohol can contribute to hernia plus I did weight lifting. I changed my diet to alkaline diet last year and my diet is good yet I still have hernia. I always eat high fiber because it helps lower cholesterol and reduces heart diseases. Maybe I should stop eating high fiber then see if my hernia will go away? I've cut back on fat food so I shouldn't be so concern about fiber. I should focus on gluten free. I still have to keep my eyes on my cholesterol though.[/quote]

There is a lot of merit to a low carb high fat diet. Fat has been villified for the past 60 years and its merits are now being made clear to the public. Check out Nina Teicholz's "Big Fat Surprise".
rancher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Guys, Low fiber can contribute to constipation which is not good and can I think and have read cause a hernia.

I'll listen to see what you come up with after digesting the idea of low fiber.

Richard
Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to Norm Robillard's website 'Fast Tract Diet' you will see he has some sound advice there. I follow this type of stuff and believe him to be effective. I would suggest going to his website and sending him an email. He usually replies within a day and will probably offer a consult.
farmersdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. We are learning to follow the Trim Healthy Mama diet. Basically it allows healthy fats like butter, coconut oil, cheese, bacon... and it allows carbs that don't spike blood sugar like brown rice, sourdough, sprouted grains, old fashioned oats... If you're trying to lose weight, you don't combine fats and carbs in the same meal. I too believe that a low fat diet is a bad idea, and actually is making people fatter because they're eating more refined carbs and sugar to fill up. We drink raw milk from my family's farm and it has never made us fat. since the low fat diet turns out to be bad science, possibly the high fiber recommendations are also? hmm.
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Low Fiber Reply with quote

Farmersdaughter,

You are definitely speaking my language. Low carb / High fat is my go to diet for the past 3 years. However you have to make sure you get plenty of fiber. Since this diet I have had 2 - terrible episodes of constipation.

Also, Mike Ruscio is a leading expert on fiber and the gut. He actually interviewed Norm Robillard on his podcast. If you want to learn more seek out these two.

For my inguinal hernia.

Lately I am pursuing possibly using electrostimulation to heal the area.
Also am looking into Actovegin shots to regrow cartilage.
I am also going to see a strength trainer to get specific exercises for the area. Charles Poliquin might be a good resource for you.

Best,
farmersdaughter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The diet also calls for lots of fruit and vegetables, which should help prevent constipation. You may want to look into taking integral collagen to help rebuild cartilage, connective tissue. I have heard that it helps pregnant/ postpartum women with weak pelvic ligaments and abdominal muscles, so I don't see why it wouldn't also help men with hernia. I am trying to take it and give it to my husband. Try googling "thm benefits of collagen"
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consume collagen through home made grass fed bone broth and the store bought knox gelatin.
rancher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aristotle, You haven't been around here for a while. Sounds like you're watching what you eat, farmersdaughter as well.

How have things been with you, both of you?

Richard
Aristotle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rancher,

Doing fine here in NC.

I am truly beginning to believe that my inguinal hernia can be put into remission if not outright healed. According to the research that I am doing if you are in a career that does not require serious lifting then you may be able to avoid surgery. I visited a strength trainer yesterday who gave me core strengthening exercises to do. He highly recommended a weight lifters power belt. Because he said that I need to keep the abdomen pulled in. I guess this gives it more room down in the lower part of the abdomen where the inguinal is. If I push the abdomin out it stretches the abdomin and opens up the joining fibers which lets the intestines slip out.He also gave me the ok to continue trail running. He also recommended at least a gallon of water a day. Now I am researching vitamin c. Dave Asprey has a podcast interviewing a researcher who uses vitamin c on his cancer patients.

What is your status as of late? Are you making any progress?

Best
rancher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to say a word or three about fiber: I think eating enough fiber is very important```Most eat too little fiber```

My opinion is that many persons drink too little water~I believe that is the problem and that fiber is wrongly faulted```

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernia Self Help Topics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: