The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is car driving advisable for Inguinal Hernia patient?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bharatk8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Is car driving advisable for Inguinal Hernia patient? Reply with quote

Is car driving advisable for Inguinal Hernia patient?I do not have pain.I do not suffer any discomfort.I am curious to know whether car driving is taboo like weight lifting,running,jogging?
vtyagi1010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Car driving with hernia Reply with quote

Yes, BharatK.
Depends on the size and site of one's hernia, the sitting posture,and the type of a support belt .'
Driving a car in a good posture and a comfortable and opened sitting arrangement with comfortable hernia support belt which does not allow to cast any type of pressure on the ruptured wall,( that you can judge after some practice or self experiences only.) will not worsen your hernia. In the case of playing cricket, football, lifting the weights etc can worsen hernia.
From last one and a half year after detecting rt sided inguinal hernia i have been driving car(With flat pad support on) but not for a long distance. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable if you don't wear a right supporting belt. (A right type of support belt can also cast a wrong and unwanted pressure on abdominal walls if you bend too much, lean forward too much ,sit in a wrong and lazy posture or if you don't keep the flat pad properly on the opening of the ruptured wall).
First of all choose a well fitted support/ flat pad and check in different body postures whether there is any unwanted pressure on your hernia which gives you an irritating feelings or any type of pain ( The best way for putting the hernia belt on, is 5-10 minutes after laying down on your back and keeping 2-3 pillows underneath of buttocks, which intern slides back the intestines at its original place and the bulge/ swelling reduces immediately).
The second thing is to keep a wooden stand or brick (appx 3-4 inches of hight, 4-5 inches of width and 10-18 inches of length, as per the requirement of your foot place) beneath your foot so that it applies a low stress on your hernia when you use your foot for applying brake or accelerator.
You can travel 40- 50 miles at a stretch without any difficulty (again depends upon the size and the site of hernia, after one or two driving you will come to know your situation.). If you feel any discomfort or pain after 5-10 minutes or immediately, that means your support or belt is not keeping your bulge inside the opening properly. Again take rest for 5-10 minutes and then put your belt on. If it is not possible that time, First adjust your belt whenever you get time to avoid any further harm to your rupture.
After completion of your journey, if possible take rest on your back(laying position) and make sure whenever taking rest you should take out your support belt.
(All the suggestions are from my own experience, I have rt sided inguinal hernia, size of a small pears from last one and a half years)
Try to avoid long drives.
Wish you fast recovery.
----- vishal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: