The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Forum - Heal without Surgery is my Objective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nivlm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: New to Forum - Heal without Surgery is my Objective Reply with quote

I have been reluctant to join this forum because I don't follow the “put everything on the internet instantly” school. I have however joined recently with the idea that something I say may be relevant/useful and also I may receive some moral support.

I discovered that I had developed an inguinal hernia (left side) in mid-January, 2015. One morning when I was about to put my underwear on I looked down and said “what the hell is this bulge???” Just totally out of the blue there it was. I have no recollection of doing anything strenuous in the time recently preceeding this discovery Sad

I quickly suspected that maybe it was a hernia and I started searching for info. on the Web. I ascertained that it “had to be a hernia” and my immediate thought was “I sure as hell don’t want surgery!” I discovered the “Hernia Bible” website and this Forum very quickly and began to learn a lot about hernias and the “standard approach” to “fixing” them, and also about the alternatives.(from this site and others)

Two weeks later when I went to my local medical clinic to see a doctor (I’m in rural area with a doctor merry-go-round ie: hardly the same one twice) he immediately said “we’ll have to refer you to a surgeon”. I think he would not have even looked at the hernia directly if I had not dropped my trousers and showed him Sad

After waiting a month to see him, the surgeon confirmed that I have a left-side direct inguinal hernia and immediately said “we’ll schedule you for surgerical repair using the mesh-method, and it will be about a three month wait.” When I mentioned the alternative of Watchful Waiting he said “waiting for what?”

I have not been to a doctor of any sort since then. I do not have close access to doctors/medical practitioners who would have any alternative suggestions. The Shouldice Clinic in Ontario Canada specializes in Hernia Repair, and even they say that surgeons must get rid of the idea that ALL hernias must be surgically repaired.

At this point I am “trying” to stabilize and hopefully heal my hernia without surgery, although at this point in time I am not convinced that I am actually making any progress Sad

I will end here for this first post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: