The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No surgery required

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhoen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: No surgery required Reply with quote

My reducible Inguinal Hernia was never very large and was more irritating than painful most of the time. It's been about 3.5 years since it started. I read about non surgical treatment after about a year, while considering going to the Shuldice Clinic in Toronto. I ordered a few trusses, not the one promoted here as it was too pricy for me, two different products. Both worked okay with some modification. The trusses mostly worked to keep the hernia from bothering me. I started exercising focused on exercises that I could feel were working the area directly over the hernia. It would reduce completely at night while sleeping and so I was very careful to get it supported when I got up. Basically put the support in before getting out of bed. After several months of this it was not popping out much at all anymore and I started using an athletic supporter with a low cut and a wide band that would cover the hernia area without a pad. I've been doing this for about 5 months now and have not had the hernia pop out in that time. There have been times when I think it will, or that it seems sensitive, but in those cases I stop what I am doing and lay on my back until the pressure abates. I'm no longer considering surgery as this seems an adequate control and I am not on any pain. I think in the case of a hernia that is not too pronounced, support and exercise can be very effective, but it takes a long time. I came close to giving up before I started seeing improvement. Once the healing started, it took about three months to feel like I was winning the battle, after that it was a relief to know I would not need surgery after all, so the motivation was easier.
bharatk8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go for ultra sound test to"measure" the size of Hernia?If yes pl. mention the size.
rhoen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ultrasound.
falcon599

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrasounds are very unreliable and dependent on the person who interprets them. I wouldn't rely on one for a correct diagnosis
bharatk8

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what makes you think that Ultrasounds are very unreliable?What should be relied upon for correct diagnosis?Pl. opine
falcon599

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRI or at the very least a second opinion. Some surgeons also don't take ultrasounds very seriously as the difference between normal and not is minimal.
From my experience an ultrasound said I had 3 hernias whereas I had none
bharatk8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Falcon599

what were locations and sizes of hernias shown in 1st U.S. report?What was time interval between 1st U.S. and 2nd U.S./MRI?Did you reduce weight or strengthened core muscles/abdominal muscles by any form of exercise like Pilates/Yoga etc after 1st U.S.? Did you use support belt/compression garment after 1st U.Sound?If yes,for how long?
ime95mos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you buy the "athletic supporter with a low cut and a wide band" ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: