The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index
Forum for groin pain and inguinal hernia
Hosted by www.herniabible.com and www.thesupportcompany-uk.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My success story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon599

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: My success story Reply with quote

This has been quite an ordeal for me.

I'll start at the beginning.

April 2013:

Suffered weightlifting injury while deadlifting 117.5kg. I had intense groin pain a few hours after

I went to the GP the following day. She said I had a hernia in the right groin and recommended watchful waiting.

I wasn't content with this so went to see another GP a few days later. This one couldn't feel a hernia and sent me to get an ultrasound.

June 2013:
The ultrasound said two hernias in the right groin and one in the left.
The ultrasound later turned out to be rubbish. While I had a lump in the groin there wasn't one in the left groin.

July 2013:
I went to see a surgeon at the royal free. He examined me and said he could feel a hernia on the right side but not the left.
I am still in pain. The surgeon says the pain is from a pulled muscle or something and the operation won't cure my pain.
Operation is scheduled for late October.

October 2013:
In the meantime I read up on all the complications from mesh and was naturally concerned. I found out about the Desarda method which sounded great. I was surprised to find out that it is listed the NHS website
In around mid October I got a really bad feeling about the mesh operation and called the hospital asking to speak to the surgeon about whether he does a non mesh operation. They told me it's not possible and I'd have to reschedule a consultation which meant the October date for surgery was cancelled.

November 2013:
I see the surgeon at the royal free again. Surgery is scheduled for late March.

I pursue the Desarda option and am disappointed to find out no one offers it in the UK. I decided to either go to Florida or Germany and get it done there.

At this point and had pain in both groins but still no lump on the left side. Due to the useless ultrasound I thought I also had a hernia there and asked about getting both sides operated on. The surgery in Germany one was considerably cheaper and a lot closer so I chose that one and scheduled surgery for early December.

December 2013:
The credit card that I would use to pay for the operation didn't arrive in time so I had to cancel this operation. The next date was late January. I was very distraught as I was in a lot of pain and was keen to get back to weightlifting.
Just before Christmas I found out about the British Hernia Centre. I arrange an appointment to see a consultant the first week of January. I researched the Desrada method further and found out that it was not as strong as mesh. Since I wanted to get back to heavy weightlifting I was willing to get the mesh.

January 2014:
I see the consultant and to my complete surprise after he examines me he tells me he cannot feel any sign of a hernia such as a lump.
I tell him that I wake up at night with pain and cannot sleep and that I get pain in the groin during erection/ejaculation.
He says those are not symptoms of a hernia and is certain I do not have one.

A few weeks later I can feel the lump again after deadlifting 50kg and I am in constant pain for about 5 days. I tried active release technique which helped relieve the pain for two days but then it came back and still hurt after exertion.

I emailed the consultant at the Hernia Centre and he suggested I come in for another consultation to inspect the lump. He feels the lump and does not believe it is a hernia.

I continue with the active release technique but my pain is still there.

February 2014:

After the consultant at the British Hernia Centre said I didn't have a hernia,I called the royal free and told them so they set up an appointment with the surgeon to reexamine me. This time it was a different surgeon standing in. He also could not feel a hernia so he sent me to get an MRI. He told me that if he were me he would not get an operation without a scan.

I go get the MRI in late February. It was a lot fun, certainly better than getting an unnecessary operation.

March 2014:

I went back to royal free to get the results of the MRI. I was fearful that it was a hernia. I saw another consultant. He showed me the result of the MRI and it said there was no evidence of an inguinal hernia and the abdominal wall is intact.

It said I have something called a haemangioma.

I am quite relieved not to need an operation and incredibly lucky that I didn't get one and would now have mesh that was unnecessary in my body.

I still get pain on exertion in the right groin which is frustrating, but I hope to find a way to get back to normal and resume weightlifting.

Last edited by falcon599 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
bharatk8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shocked to find incompetent doctors in developed countries
falcon599

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It was a miracle that I didn't get an unnecessary operation.
If hadn't gone to see the consultant at the British Hernia Centre, I would have had the operation, possibly on both sides.

I hope others who read this will get a second opinion before they commit to surgery.

Also, I will never again take the advice of a GP regarding any serious medical issue.
falcon599

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked online and found that gilmore's groin sounds almost exactly what I have.
It's also often misdiagnosed. I'm going to seek some physiotherapy for this
Cyprusmike

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the British Hernia Centre is the place to go. Certainly acted responsibly in your case. Have been considering getting mine done there but as I live in Cyprus it adds to the costs. Trouble is a friend of mine had a mesh repair done in Cyprus in a private hospital and he was an in-patient for 3 nights and couldn't walk well for a while. Looking at the British Hernia Centre website most operations are done on a same day basis and are able to walk out of hospital straight after and most are done by local anaesthetic. Maybe it's worth the cost of a return flight and the BHC fees.
falcon599

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely recommend the British Hernia Centre.
You can give them a call and ask them if you don't need to stay at the hospital after the operation. The secretary is very knowledgeable there. She even said to me that it's rare to have two hernias on one side
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Hernia Support Forum Forum Index -> Hernias Healed Without Surgery All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: